The production of St-Remy brandy began in 1886 after French vineyards experienced a massive invasion of the phylloxera, an insect imported from America and feeding on the roots of the vine. Many Remy Martin wineries were on the verge of closing. The owner of the company, Paul-Emile Remy Martin, decided to replace the almost destroyed Gros Plant grapes with Folle Blanche, which was similar in taste. Martin built an enterprise close to the source of raw materials in the community of Mashcoul, not far from Nantes. The distillery was named St-Remy in honor of Saint Remigius, who baptized the first French king from Merovingian dynasty. In 1917 Fine St-Remy brandy was created, which was the first to be recognized outside the country. In 1949 the drink began to be bottled in black glass, which protected the contents from light. Blender Martina Payne made a significant contribution to the development of the St-Remy brand. In 1990 she developed a complex assemblage, which resulted in the brandy St-Remy XO. After 12 years, a new creation of the master was released: Reserve Privee, the first limited edition of extra-class brandy based on ten-year-old grape wines. Before retiring in 2014, Martine Payne created St-Remy Small Batch Reserve, slow distilled in copper stills. All components of the blend were aged in oak barrels for at least 6 years. Today, St-Remy beverage is sold in more than 40 countries around the world. The brand's products are highly valued by experts and have won many awards at prestigious international competitions.